|Origin||Durban, South Africa|
|Label(s)||Inpop Records, Survivor Records|
|Genre(s)||Contemporary Christian Music, Worship, and Praise|
|Years active||1996 - 2009|
Tree63 is a Contemporary Christian Music band the originated in Durban, South Africa. The band was formed in 1996 and in 1997 had to create a name due to their upcoming preformance at North Beach, Durban. "63" was added to their name due to a conflict with an American band, while "63" had been the name of their second album in reference to Psalm 63.
- 'We were originally just "Tree," after the numerous references in the Bible to trees: the garden of Eden, the cross Jesus hung on etc. "63" was the title of our second record, and it came from Psalm 63. When we got to the States in 2000, we discovered a band in Boston called "Tree" already, and they were unwilling to give up their band name, so we had to either alter or change ours. The compromise was "Tree63."'
- ---John Ellis, Interview with Christian Music Daily
Their first album released in the USA, Tree63, won the GMA Dove Award for "Rock Album of the Year" in 2001, but it wasn't until their recording of Matt Redman's "Blessed Be Your Name" did they become popular, which was featured on the 2005 edition of WOW Hits. On a February 2, 2007 broadcast of 20, The Countdown Magazine (special edition, Praise and Worship) guest Chris Tomlin described Tree63's rendition of "Blessed Be Your Name" as "...the definitive recording of one of the most all-encompassing songs in the entire world of Christian music." Afterwards, it was then announced as the number 3 Praise and Worship song of all time.
Tree 63 parted ways into 2009, and John Ellis has returned to South Africa, where he displays his passion for Jesus by promoting young upcoming band members through his influence. He performed on a regular basis in South Africa under the auspices of 'John Ellis and Friends'. The band has now been making a come back tour which started touring through Canada and North America starting November 21, 2009 at gull Lake Baptist camp.
- Overflow (1997)
* 63 - (1999, Kingsway Music)
* Tree63 (2000, Inpop Records)
* The Life and Times of Absolute Truth (2002)
* The Answer To The Question (2004)
* Worship Volume One: I Stand For You (2005)
* Blessed Be Your Name: The Best From Tree63
* Sunday! (2007, Inpop Records)
External Links Edit
Members: John Ellis • Darryl Swart • Daniel Ornellas